The New Bedford Whaling Museum's Moby-Dick Marathon is an annual non-stop reading of Herman Melville's literary masterpiece. The multi-day program of entertaining activities and events is presented every January. Admission to the Marathon is free.

Sunday, January 30, 2011

Snowbound While Working on Moby-Dick

Arrowhead

I have a sort of sea-feeling here in the country, now that the ground is all covered with snow.  I look out of my window in the morning when I rise as I would out of a port-hole of a ship in the Atlantic.  My room seems a ship's cabin; & at nights when I wake up & hear the wind shrieking, I almost fancy there is too much sail on the house, & I had better go on the roof & rig in the chimney.
-- from a letter by Melville to Evert Duyckinck, Pittsfield, Mass., Dec. 13, 1850

No comments:

Post a Comment